Do you need an Electronic Travel Authorization? UPDATED

In March 2016, Canada introduced the eTA requirement for certain visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada. A six-month leniency period was put in place so that travelers who are unfamiliar with eTA could still board their flight to Canada without travel disruptions. The leniency period was set to end on September 29, however, was extended until November 9, 2016. The requirement is now in full effect.

April 13, 2016

On March 15, 2016, the government implemented Canada’s new entry requirement, the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The eTA is now required for any foreign national wanting to travel to Canada, if they come from a country where a visa is not normally needed to travel to Canada. This also applies to those who are transiting through Canada by air.

IRCC has also announced a ‘grace period’ until fall 2016. This means that travellers without an eTA can still board their flights for the time being as long as they have an appropriate travel document such as a passport.

Canadian citizens, dual citizens, US Citizens and Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA.

It is a good idea to apply for the eTA well in advance of your travel dates. In order to apply, you must have a valid passport, a credit card (the fee is $7 CAD) and a valid email address. Each family member must apply for their own eTA.

For assistance with the ETA application please contact our office.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
Share on telegram